Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Fauxnami.

"She left her phone in our room"
"Huh? What's going on? Why are you guys awake?"

4 a.m.

I woke up to Shiri and Dani talking. Shiri had a game in Hilo (that was later cancelled). Dani had some news.
The news?
Chile had suffered an 8.8 earthquake.
We were under tsunami warning.

Perf.

Aside from my concern for those in Chile, I could not help but feel a bit of annoyance and excitement. How many people can say they have witnessed a tsunami. Yet, it was 4 in the a.m. Who wants to be up that early when this is one of two days a week she can sleep past that?

4:30

Oh. Hello Hale Mom.
"Sirens will be going off at 6.
Be ready with a packed bag and head to the lounge.
Don't panic."

I have always known there was something wrong with me. Panicking was the last thing I was thinking about. Rather, the fact that there was already an endless line outside of Foodland that would make for some memorable pictures. Unfortunately. The roomie was actually worried for my safety.

6:00 onward

The sirens went off. There was a meeting. A lot of "We're gonna die" "Let's party" screaming. Some banana bread, french toast making. Evacuation to the upper levels. News watching. Napping. Good reads.

The only thing that lacked was the actual tsunami.

I should be happy about this. I am. I am alive and well along with the rest of the Hawaiian islands.

I am beyond grateful that we weren't affected and hadn't suffered like Chile.

Yet, there is this little voice at the back of my mind that wishes it had been all it was made up to be.

This could be a result from the over-excitement, and hyped-up-ness.

Yet, relief is not the emotion washing over me.

Could we call it disappointment?

1 comment: